Tuesday, May 19, 2009

5 Tips for the Dreaded Stanford Essay A

Because Stanford Admissions will likely release the class of 2012 essays in the coming weeks, I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss Stanford GSB Essay A, which is often cited as the most difficult of all business school application essays. In fact, I know of at least one potential applicant who stopped considering Stanford after learning that GSB Admissions Director Derrick Bolton and his staff want to know, "What matters most to you and why?"

When I first learned about that essay the summer before I applied, I knew that I wanted to write about relationships. I didn't know what any of the supporting ideas were going to be and I didn't have a clue how I was going to structure the essay, but I knew intrinsically that what matters most to me is building new and developing existing relationships.

After settling on this topic, I avoided sitting down and writing this essay for as long as I could. I had one "burst of genius" when I was lying awake in bed one night in early September. I took out my laptop and wrote one paragraph in my pajamas. That paragraph remained the opener to my essay, virtually unchanged through more than ten iterations.

For another month, I favored writing business school essays on the much easier subjects of leadership, career goals, and learning from a mistake. I finally picked up essay A again about three weeks before it was due. I spent a full Saturday sulking in my living room as I struggled to introduce ideas that I thought were relevant and to answer the second part of the question, Why. I continued to flounder up until the deadline. I even changed my essay just four days before it was due to a letter format, and then changed it back to the original. (I still prefer the letter format but was told by several people that it didn't work as well.)

Unfortunately, dear applicant who may be reading this, I have no silver bullet. There was no "Aha!" moment in my writing process. The ideas just trickled out slowly and very painfully.

I have created a short list of tips that I hope will help you in your endeavors. And readers who have also been through this process, please add your thoughts in a comment below.

Essay A suggestions:

1. Start early. Yes, I do encourage you to write your essays in a strategic way--many people suggest writing HBS essays first (if you are applying) because they are short and force you to reflect on a wide variety of experiences; others say to write the essays for your last choice school first progressing to your top choice last. Both of these are reasonable strategies. Whatever you do, please give this particular essay some serious thought early in the application process.

2. Trust your instincts on the subject matter. I have heard of people writing their essay A on wide variety of subjects, including community service, teaching, learning, achieving life-work balance, supporting family, perpetual self-improvement, and giving back to the impoverished community from which the author came. Lots of subjects work; family is a popular one. Don't worry about being unoriginal. And don't worry about your subject being too "out-there" or too broad (many people told me my subject was too general). Just don't try to emulate other people's essays and do go with your gut, even if you initially struggle to articulate your thoughts.

3. If you don't have an idea, start reflecting... NOW. A friend of mine successfully wrote this essay by sitting down and mapping out his entire life trajectory and then looking for a pattern in his educational, career, and extracurricular choices. This strategy takes considerable time and self-examination so don't put it off.

4. Answer the entire question. Make sure to answer the why portion of the question; that is really the meat. As I wrote earlier, most subjects can work. But they can't work if you don't explain what your subject personally means to you, how it has shaped your decisions, how it influences your values, and what it means for your future.

5. Get help. I have heard a couple times that Derrick or someone on the GSB adcom once said that if you are willing to show your essay to more than three people, you haven't dug deeply enough. I have no idea if anyone really said that, but I believe that sentiment is "hippopotamus shit" to quote one of my favorite movies (80's trivia bonus points if you know what flick I'm referencing). I hated sharing my essays initially, even the dry career goals essay. But by the time I got to my Stanford essays, which I wrote last, I had gotten over my propensity for essay privacy. I implore you to do the same. Other people's input is invaluable. And to be clear, I am not suggesting that you have editors rewrite your essays, just that you get input from friends, family, and colleagues who know you well. (I had two colleagues, my significant other, one parent, and two friends read my essay A.)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to write this helpful blog. I'm currently knee deep in all things essay related, and I appreciate your words of direction.

Anonymous said...

Phenomenal post! Very helpful indeed.

Anonymous said...

As I'm gearing up to submit my R1 application, I think your calling hippopotamus shit is spot on -- it was almost freeing to share the personal story that drives me to do what I do. It's not something everyone might know, but there's no need for secrecy.

PS -- Coming to America indeed.

Anonymous said...

Quite helpful.

Pranay the Srinivasan said...

I see from the "Hippopotamus Shit" that you like Terence Hill and Bud Spencer :)
Good taste!

utekkare,
Pranay
p.s. I'm a prospective R2 applicant for Fall 2010 entry.

Essays Writing said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

May said...

This is very helpful thank you for sharing =)

Anonymous said...

I loved this essay.. you're right about the fact that it takes time, also that sometimes it's just about going with your gut - there's sometimes that one moment when the right words just pour themselves out.
I had started with mapping out my life and all the big & small significant things that have happened in it, weeks later, that map helped bring everything together really well in the first (and almost) final draft.

Unlike some of my other 'significant accomplishment' essays, this one sounds just like me, and whether unconventional or not, it still makes me smile when I read it.
Not sure whether you think that's a relevant criterion for a great essay ;)

Unknown said...

I have gone through your post information and it is really usefull .I was looking for this facilities.Thanks for sharing.
Good Essay Sample

Anonymous said...

I quite agree with you that one should start very early ...personally I did think for 3 months, I didn't put my thoughts on a paper..I was just thinking and analyzing..by September I knew exactly what really mattered to me, but I still had no notion which way everything had to be organised, then one evening,doing my school tasks I was kind of stroken with the wave of endless thoughts , that were almost bursting out of my brain. That was fantastic, just one evening was spent for all three supplementary essays, certainly, the draft was far from being ideal, but nonetheless everything I wanted to share with the comittee was finally there, on the paper..I just needed several corrections to be done...The main what I am wondering about is that - by just thinking for a very long period of time, I brought my mind to such a state that it started giving out the information itself

Anonymous said...

Upon examining some etymological dictionaries, one can conclude that games are a creative expression of
the human spirit through the creation of an activity that has an
entertaining, instructive and competing element.
Finding good outsourcing companies is the key, as naturally you do not want to lower the quality of
the service. It's fast to build and play and will challenge your memory.

Take a look at my web page :: mouse click the next article - www.pyconuk.net

Anonymous said...

If he's hurting himself or going wild, you may need to get medication from your veterinarian and proactively medicate your dog whenever the forecast calls for possible thunder storms. The early reviews of the Play - Book are mostly glowing, and if RIM really does have a hit device here, it would be smart to get it onto as many carriers as possible. Here are some simple tips to help you remember that even when it seems like a storm is rolling in, sometimes if we relax and shift our perception just a little, we can, indeed, keep it all in perspective, and this too shall pass.

Here is my site View Web Page

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for
you? Plz respond as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. many thanks

My web page hip to waist ratio

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful information.Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback. Here is nice service that can help you with writing an essay http://globalessays.org

Unknown said...

Thanks for Such a Nice Information about stanford business school essays.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am inspired!
Extremely useful info specifically the final phase :) I care for such info much.

I was seeking this particular info for a long
time. Thanks and best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Hello colleagues, how is all, and what you desire to say about this paragraph, in my view its in fact remarkable for
me.

Hildegard Flatley said...

Extremely, some schoolchildren work extraordinarily erratically in the classroom and don't recognize direction. These kind of understudies who stanford mba essays couldn't ponder the planning are horrendous for their families and for the nation's progress as they can't build up the general populace without direction.

Post a Comment